© The Charity Horse Show 2019
Home News About Money Sponsors Events Results Schedule Gallery Contact Rules
Our History to Date: The Total Money Raised since 1994 is £63,800 The Charity Horse Show was inaugurated in 1994, and has been held Annually in July, except for 2001 when the Foot & Mouth Epidemic forced its cancellation, and 2012 when the showground was too wet, and 2016 when there was a strangles outbreak in local area. To raise money for Charity – thus the idea of obtaining Sponsors for Classes/Show Rings etc. To keep the cost of organisation down to a minimum – i.e. Begging, Borrowing and most importantly persuasion. To provide a good standard local show – catering for a variety of classes and levels. Sgt McKenzie of the Royal Artillery Saddle Club, based at Thorney Island in Hampshire provided the location for the first Show, on the proviso that 10% of monies raised would be donated to the Saddle Club Funds. The remaining 90% was donated to Leukaemia Research, as a result of the sad loss to Dave and his wife Marion of their 10 year old son to the disease in 1986. The Show went extremely well, in fact far beyond the expectations with a total of £2000,00 being raised. Just as important was the encouraging feedback  received from competitors and exhibitors which plainly showed that it would clearly be popular as an Annual event. The following year the Show moved from Thorney Island  to its current home at Hunters Race Lane, Lavant, Near Chichester in West Sussex. The site is a disused gravel pit, which is very flat  and grassy with high banks round the perimeter, allowing for excellent viewing of the whole Showground. It also allows for plenty of Parking space for Boxes and Trailers close to the rings which is essential for the smooth running of Classes throughout the day.  Mr. David Mortimer, the owner of the land, has very generously allowed the Show to be held at Hunters Race free of charge with the proviso that one of the beneficiaries is St. Wilfrids Hospice in Chichester, which is an excellent local Charity. By 1995, the organising Committee had grown to 8, all of whom have given time, effort and skills as the Show has grown bigger each year.  Many of  the original Sponsors continued to support the event, but due to the increase in classes, more sponsors needed to be found, and  a lot of local Companies and individuals very kindly came to the rescue. We are pleased and extremely grateful that many are still with us today and continue to take an interest in the event.                                            As costs increased year by year, in 1996 it was decided to hold smaller fundraising events to help support the growing burden, which included the Hiring of Show Jumps, Public Address Systems, Portable Toilets, the cost of  first aid provision, extra rope and stakes etc etc. Consequently  the Committee, which had now increased to 10, organised Equestrian Tack Sales, Quiz Nights and even  a Fundraising Keep Fit Night which one of the Committee member’s ran in Portsmouth. Due to the enormous demand, in 1997 two Show Jumping rings was incorporated for the first time. One of the rings would be totally dedicated for Novices and Beginners who benefited from not being combined with the more experienced competitors.  With this in mind, the Committee decided to buy a complete set of Show Jumps from fundraising money with the view that extra items e.g. A Wall, Jacobs ladder etc. could be added each year to save the large expense of hiring two sets of jumps.  Also it was decided to introduce Dressage for the first time, again with Novices and Beginners in mind. New for 2003 was Mountain and Moorland qualifying classes for the P.U.K summer championship at the East of England show at Peterborough. To summarise up to the present day, the Show consists of 1 Show Jumping Ring,  5 Showing Rings, Working Hunter Classes,  Dressage, several Championships as well as a Supreme, and there is now a Fun Dog Show held in the afternoon for those with an interest in smaller four legged friends. The Tack Sales are still held twice a year and are always well supported by stallholders and customers alike.  In 2005 we had horrendous rain so the entries were less than previous years, but were still able to raise £2700 to donate to our chosen charities.  In 2018 we made £1,300. The Committee are determined to make 2019 the best yet, and sincerely hope to break the record of money raised.  
Charity Horse Show About